Welcome to the Languages department at HNC! Whether you are interested in studying French or Spanish, the below tasks will give you a flavour of what to expect if you choose to study a modern foreign language at A Level.
Why study languages?
1. languages can help you to secure a better job in the future. Being bi-lingual means you're more employable!
2. It looks good on your CV – speaking a foreign language impresses!
3. It could help you to work anywhere in the world
4. It can help you to make the most out of travel opportunities
Think about where French and Spanish is spoken. Is it just spoken within France and Spain or elsewhere? Are there any large organisations or events that use French or Spanish?
Taske 1: Grammar Quiz
How do you say the following in French/Spanish?
1. I have
2. He is
3. There is
4. I went
5. I’m going to go
6. My family
7. My friends
8. I like to play football
Task 2: The name game
1. 5 Spanish speaking countries
2. 5 French speaking countries
3. 5 things that you eat, in French or Spanish
4. 5 colours, in French or Spanish
5. 5 famous French people, 5 famous Spanish people
6. 5 animals in French or Spanish
7. 5 items of clothing, in French or Spanish
8. 5 Infinitives of a verb in your chosen language (the ‘to do’ part)